Friday, September 18, 2009

A Letter

Recently we had a young girl leave Rain Rock to go home and finish her last year of high school. She asked me to write her a letter, and this is what I wrote.

My Friend,
You are embarking on a wonderful and dangerous journey. I know that you are aware of all the traps and pitfalls, so I will speak to you of the joys.
I have seen your amazing ability for friendship and connection. I believe that t his is your greatest tool in this battle. Strive for self reflection and inner peace, of course. But never isolation.
Acknowledge and appreciate your strengths, but do so without arrogance. See others with eyes that do not judge, and just so do not judge yourself. When you sway from your resolve do not be downtrodden. Know that this is a part of your journey. Take the experience; make peace with those you have wronged; learn something about yourself; precede without guilt.
And always, my friend, seek Truth, Virtue, Beauty, and Wisdom. Through these you will find fulfillment, through that epic search. Remember those who love and support you. We will always be here for you.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

She's lucky to have had you in her life.

Dad said...

Wise thoughts my dear.

Mm said...

Sweet wisdom. Words we should all remember. (You exprssed them in a lovely manner as well)