Thursday, July 15, 2010

Michigan

On a family vacation these last two weeks my aunt informed me that she checks my blog regularly and is getting tired of my old posts. I informed her that I only know of like 3 people who read my blog, so if she's going to be critical of my blogging schedule she should at least leave me comments to encourage me that I do, indeed, have an audience. She said that leaving comments is too hard.

This one goes out to you, Auntie! I miss you already.

My cousin taking a picture of my other cousin while their brother (also my cousin) plays in the sand. Glen Lake beautifully framed behind the model. Josiah thinks that Sleeping Bear, the biggest sandbox he's ever seen, is super cool.



Hiking over the dunes to Lake Michigan. A Peter Wierenga family tradition. (I thought that it was just a Wierenga family tradition, but my cousins all informed me that they've only hiked over the dunes like once, leading me to believe that it's really only my immediate family. My dad arrived at Glen Lake and promptly asked when we were hiking over the dunes.)



Cool barn, as seen from the dunes.



The face I make every time I jump in the water to wakeboard. Thanks for capturing that look, Anna!


Famous Glen Lake sunset, the view from our cottage.
It was wonderful to spend two weeks in such a magical place surrounded by my family. We got to meet our new cousin Kim's family and hang out with them for a few days while celebrating Jon and Kim's marriage.
This year we introduced the lake to Kim, Mia, Honnah, and Jess. They all approved.
Uncle Thom and I found about 45 petoskey stones through several expeditions to The Cove and Lake Michigan.
Everybody says that Aunt Mary and I are twins. Ben would say "they're, like, the same person."
The 7 single women of the family shared a camper affectionately dubbed "the nunnery." When I arrived in Chicago to spend two nights with Uncle Tim's family there was a sign saying "the nunnery" on the bedroom door that 4 of us girls shared.
Josiah is one cool Pistachio. And he rocks all games involving blue yarn. Props mom!
These two are my favorite accessory with any outfit. I did have to share them, however, with about 30 other family members.
Sonorah and Josiah played beautifully together, practicing sharing and helping each other out. Hopefully pictures forthcoming from Sarah.

A beautiful vacation with some of the world's most awesome people.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

It was so so awesome! I'm so glad we made the arduous trip for the 2 days, can't wait for next year!

Melanie said...

I've heard about this legendary Glen Lake trip for years, but I've never seen pictures. Thank you!

Wow - those petoskey stones are beautiful! How are they made - do you know?

katiewoo13 said...

How 'bout this, Mel. I'll write a post about petoskey's next week once I've had a photo session with the ones that we found!