Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fantasies en pointe

Today marks a momentous occasion in my life.  It is the culmination of years of dreaming and training.  I'm not talking about my midmorning nap (9-11 am, a new skill taught to me by my own dear Sonora) or seeing several different kinds of cells under a 400x microscope.  No, this joyous event happened this evening, when I engaged in my first ballet class en pointe.  This landmark is a dream for any ballerina, and probably just about any little girl.  
Although the class was challenging, my muscles are strong and my technique is solid, so with a little more time and practice I'll be on a roll.  I'm in class with a bunch of 11-13 year olds, a very humbling experience.  It just goes to show that it's never too late to try something new.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Congratulations!

Mm said...

What happpened to teaching tap to your Mom?

Sarah said...

Yay you! Congrats! Now go buy lots of Epsom Salts, NewSkin, Lambs Wool (never use those Toe Flow things), cut off pantyhose toe ends to hold them on, corn cushions, masking tape (sticks better than the surgical tape), and shellac to reinforce the toe and box. Can't wait to see you pirouette!

Trespasser said...

You silly bunhead! I'm excited to promenade you on pointe. Remember, Odette is the good swan who dies. Odile is the meanie who gets to be pretty, petty, and live. Who's got the better end of the deal?

Marianne Elixir said...

This is inspiring. I have day dreamed of taking classes myself, for fitness. Perhaps when my own children are 10-11?