Monday, June 20, 2011

Burmese Days

Since my brother became a career bookman I have uncontrollably bought every book that looks appealing. This has resulted in a large pile of unread (but very enticing) literature. Unfortunately I've been buying more books than I can read, so the pile only grows. Since my mother moved to Boise in April (moved, I might say, into the room with the TV, satellite, and wii), I have made a renewed effort to minify this collection.

My strategy is twofold. Read more books, buy less books.

Among recent conquests (and books that I would highly recommend): A Thousand Splendid Suns, How The Irish Saved Civilization, Devil in the White City, Rashomon and In The Grove, and most recently, Burmese Days.

Just when I thought that George Orwell was going to pull out a happy ending, to allow the protagonist a perfect, romantic and content Happily Ever After, he turns everything upside down, allowing evil to win, the hero to meet his demise, and selfishness to be rewarded with prosperity.

Thanks George.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

If you're looking to downsize, I know of a great used bookstore that might be willing to buy some of those books from you. ;)