Tuesday, June 23, 2009

change change change

This title is not a reference to popular song lyrics or the constant request that I get from friendly veterans on the corner of 8th and Washington (or almost any other Eugene corner, for that matter). Not, it is more a reference to my life right now. There is a lot going on.

I've settled in to the idea that I'm not moving next year and I'm not going to nursing school for the indefinite future. So what better to do in Eugene than get a new job and a new apartment?

Dad and I are moving into a little townhouse closer to Eugene. It is absolutely adorable and most definitely ours, provided neither of us has a criminal history. I'll post pictures when we've moved.

Much like my brother, I did not realize that we were moving until two days ago. And yet here I sit amidst all my belongings in boxes ready to leave either for Boise or the new apartment. Much thanks to my devoted Jessica for her help the last two days.

But I know that what you are all truely interested in is the new job. I have accepted a position at an elder care facility for folks with dementia. The company is a very nice, beautiful campus with about 9 houses, each of which has 11 residents. My job will be the Resident Manager of the Birch house. This means that I'm in charge of working with the families, medical team, and the reast of my team to take care of my 11 residents, as well as supervising my staff.

This job is a phenomenal opportunity for my career. It offers a lot of responsibility and new areas for me to grow. The company that I'm working for is amazing, and I know that they will offer all of the education, training, and support that I need. I will be working a normal 7-3:30 day, monday-friday. This means that I will have time in the evenings and weekends to join a knitting club, book group, take gymnastics, piano and karate. I'm also going to cook wonderful dinners, have friends over, take road trips, and learn to garden. Ambitious, you say? Maybe. But I'll sure try.

I am truely heartbroken at leaving Rain Rock. I will continue to work weekends for about the next 6 weeks to give me and Rain Rock the opportunity to adjust. I love what I do, and I love my girls and my coworkers more than anything. I have felt a heaviness for days, but as I get more excited about my new job and get used to all of these changes it gets better.

Change does not often sit well with me. I am very excited about my future, but right now I'm in that uncertain in-between. I suppose it's necessary to go through this place in order to get where I'm going.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I am excited that you are excited.

Sarah said...

I think this is all really good.